TR-398 Issue 4 WiFi Testing with LANforge: 32 WiFi-7 Radios + Mesh
The TR-398 WiFi Performance test plan
by the Broadband forum provides a comprehensive
set of tests to qualify the performance of WiFi access points (APs) to be deployed in residential and small
office indoor environments. The TR-398 Issue 4 will include TR-398 Issue 3 features as well as WiFi-7 support.
This automation logic allows customization of test executation and pass/fail metrics to allow
interested users to run advanced tests not specified in TR398.
The TR398 issue-3 document from Broadband Forum is still in progress. Pass/fail thresholds and perhaps some
other small changes to the test procedure are still being resolved.
See example reports auto-generated by this testbed (these results are from Issue-3, currently
waiting on WiFi-7 chipset performance reporting embargo to expire before we can show WiFi 7 results):
- PASS/FAIL results table for each test per the TR-398 document.
- Detailed per test measurements.
Slide presentation for Candela Technologies' TR-398 issue 2 solution.
Candela Technologies offers a fully automated TR-398 Issue 4 test system. All the required test hardware
including multi station emulator, traffic generator, RF enclosures, turntable, programmable attenuators,
and fully automated test software along with PASS/FAIL results are provided in a packaged, easy to
use and affordable solution. This testbed uses 32 be200 tri-band WiFi-7 radios. These are not 'virtual'
stations, so this testbed offers additional testing opportunities, including OFDMA, MU-MIMO and MLO.
Wiring Diagram for TR398 Issue-4 without Mesh.
More testbed pictures:
CT840b Front Open
Wiring Diagram for TR398 Issue-4 with Mesh.
The test setup, testbed components and environment are all created as per the requirements in Section
5 of the TR-398 Issue 3 test plan document. Some of the components may be different than pictured
depending on the options purchased. Please ask your sales representative for details.
The LANforge GUI provides integrated configuration and automation control for all the components of
the testbed including the station emulators, traffic generator, attenuators, and turntables. The entire set
of supported TR-398 Issue 4 tests, or optionally a subset of these tests, can be run with a single push of a button. An
HTML, PDF, and xlsx report can be generated with a second button click when the test completes.
Includes these Building Blocks
- LANforge CT523c Multi station Emulation and Traffic Generation Hardware – 32 WiFi-7 radios, Multi-Gig Ethernet ports.
- CT521b systems for auto-calibration and for interferer devices needed for some tests.
- CT820a-Medium RF Chambers (rack-mount available).
- CT822a-Medium RF Chambers with internal antenna supports (rack-mount available).
- CT840a or CT840b Large RF Chamber with Programmable Turntable.
- CT714b 4 Port Programmable Attenuators.
- RF Splitters/Combiners.
- Directional Antennas.
- RF Cables.
- TR-398 Issue 4 Automation Software
- Normal LANforge WiFi testing features are included at no additional charge.
Key Tests for TR-398 Issue 4
Many of the features not currently supported by the automation can be executed manually.
- Calibration and Testbed Setup
- Automatic calibration of station attenuators.
- Automatic calibration of mesh backhaul attenuators.
- Automatic verification of basic testbed correctness.
- 6.1 RF capability
- 6.1.1 Receiver Sensitivity Test
- 6.2 Baseline performance
- 6.2.1 Maximum Connection Test
- 6.2.2 Maximum Throughput Test
- 6.2.3 Airtime Fairness Test
- 6.2.4 Dual-band Throughput Test
- 6.2.5 Bidirectional Throughput Test
- 6.2.6 Latency under Load Test
- 6.2.7 Quality of Service Test
- 6.2.8 Multi-band Throughput Test
- 6.3 Coverage
- 6.3.1 Range Versus Rate Test
- 6.3.2 Spatial Consistency Test
- 6.3.3 802.11ax Peak Performance Test, including 2x2 320Mhz. (4x4 not supported at this time)
- 6.4 Multiple Stations Performance
- 6.4.1 Multiple Stations Performance Test.
- 6.4.2 Multiple Association/Disassociation Stability Test.
- 6.4.3 Downlink MU-MIMO Performance Test (6E not currently supported, not required by TR398i3).
- 6.4.4 Multicast Performance Test (not officially part of TR398 Issue4).
- 6.5 Stability/Robustness
- 6.5.1 Long Term Stability Test
- 6.5.2 AP Coexistence Test (6E not currently supported.)
- 6.5.3 Automatic Channel Selection Test (6E not supported at this time)
- 6.6 Mesh test cases (TR398 issue-3)
- 6.6.1 Mesh Backhaul Rate vs Range
- 6.6.2 2-hop Mesh Backhaul Rate vs Range
- 6.6.3 Mesh Roaming Test
- 7 AP Stability/Robustness
- 7.1.1 RSSI Accuracy (Not supported at this time)
- 7.1.2 Channel Utilization Accuracy (Not supported at this time)
- 7.1.3 Noise Accuracy (Not supported at this time)
Lead Times and Support:
Lead Times: Four to six weeks.
TaaS/Onsite Support: Customers with only occasional test needs can use our Test as a
Service option. Candela engineers can do the testing for you in our fully equipped test lab and
provide a detailed test report with recommendations.
For more information, please contact email@example.com
or give us a call at: 1-360-380-1618